In a context where there is growing hotspot or access points to the network, you need to start taking a number of precautions to avoid being a victim.
Open wireless networks have become a necessity rather than people. Internet access is something that we have become dependent to, the point that no matter what expose ourselves just to be online. Whether for convenience or to save data that is outside the coverage area, connect to a public network means exposure to a number of risks.While the government, plazas and shops and public transport systems, among others, celebrate the new access points, cyber criminals and hackers celebrate the new opportunities for attack just a couple of clicks away.
Different surveys indicate that most consumers prefer to connect to an open network, so activate the function to connect automatically in their various mobile devices. Thus, an offender can free you to connect to a network which is placed in the middle of all the information circulating among users, either outgoing or incoming. This means that instead of a person is connected directly to the access point; he will be sending information through the cyber criminal or hacker.
It should be noted that the criminate need to be in the same place. Many restaurants and coffee shops do not change their passwords, which means that a person can go once to have access to the network and then simply be located within the coverage area to execute their attack.
Another technique is to create a false point of connection. For this, the attacker usually is close to the public network and creates a similar with minimal change in the name, so users will basically give away their personal information. This attack is very common to see in restaurants or places to go for coffee, where the person seeking relax and guard down.
On the other hand, the user is also exposed to misuse your information. Beyond cybercriminals, also it should be aware that in the era of the knowledge society and rise of big data, personal data is a valuable asset for brands, marketing agencies and consultancies. At this point it is vital to know what the Terms and Conditions (T & Cs) are to use the public network, since often these data are used to send unwanted advertising.
Therefore, the ideal is to basically stop connecting to public networks, but if you need to access one, follow these tips:
Tips to use free Wi-Fi hotspots safely?
Use all your devices a VPN (virtual private network for its acronym in English), the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), explains that it is a technology that enables the computer or mobile device to send and receive information over a shared network or public network as if it were directly connected to a private network, benefiting from the functionality, security, and management policies of a local network.
- Disable the “automatically connect” all your devices with Internet access and activate the firewall settings to block incoming connections.
- If connected to a public network, after use, delete the record.
- Be sure to connect to the wireless network of the establishment where it is.
- Do not access applications you don’t need.
- Do not perform sensitive operations such as online trading or banking online, and if you can, avoid check your emails and access to social networks.
- If you are traveling, it is advisable to use a router with SIM card to access the Internet.
- Be sure to see the padlock and “https” in the address bar for any site with your personal information. If they are not there, avoid the site.
- Read the T & Cs of access connections.
- Remember that everything you do on a public network is part of a public conversation.
- Use a device specially designed to care for your digital privacy and security.
Among its functions, the blackphone 2 has a unique application on the market: “Smarter Wifi”. This application allows you to create the user a whitelist of secure networks to which it connects automatically, while unknown warns risks and, when there is no trusted network nearby, the device turns off the wireless automatically. This will avoid becoming a victim of attacks while not connected to a network.